Wednesday, January 6, 2016

the new "an eye for an eye"

"An eye for an eye. A tooth for tooth" (Leviticus 24:20).

When I first heard that phrase as a little one, I thought it was an old Korean adage. It was just so common and I would find it on secular TV and books. I didn't even ponder that phrase could be from the Bible, where I learned so much about the infinitely loving Jesus who died on the cross for me. The concept just sounds so...worldly.

When God was dwelling with the Israelites, I guess it made sense that the justice system was something so direct and fair. After all, He was physically with them in the Tent and was showing all the visible signs that demonstrated His love. Were His presence and tangible works enough to move the Israelites to steadfast faithfulness? We all know the answer.

So God showed them the humbler, the higher way of "An eye for an eye" through Jesus. God became flesh. And He showed us how to love the way He does by teaching us to forgive one another and bless those who curse us. He died for our sins, His pure eyes for our sinful eyes, His wounds for our wounds, His life for our life.

By physically demonstrating this new way of "An eye for an eye," I think God wanted us to see the length of His passion for us, and the depth of love He expects from us. Today, spend some time looking at yourself in the mirror. Every inch of you, every part of you is a glorious, most astounding exchange ever made. The eyes of the Creator of the Universe closed for your eyes to open. Can you see Jesus' eyes in your eyes?

Don't let His sacrifice go to waste. If you feel like giving up, then fight back! Immerse yourself in the Word! Pray for strength to live out the Gospel for another day! Praising God puts everything in right perspective, so do it! Don't ever give up on loving God and others. Because God will not give up on loving you literally until the end of time and this world. He has already exchanged every part of Himself for every inch of you.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you. This is just what I needed to hear. I needed to be reminded of God's love for me and not to give up on loving others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating... Thanks for sharing this thought of the new "eye for an eye".

    Getting to know God and his character really inspires me. There is none like Him, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating... Thanks for sharing this thought of the new "eye for an eye".

    Getting to know God and his character really inspires me. There is none like Him, indeed.

    ReplyDelete