Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Who is Really In-Charge?

Genesis 25:23, Genesis 27

Some people are natural born initiators.  They are those who manage, implement and supervise events, and generally make sure that things are carried out to completion.  They are also good at anticipating problems and finding solutions before any problems arise.  Rebekah is just that kind of a person.  Earlier, she demonstrates this trait when she offered and impressed Eliezer by single-handedly taking care of providing him and his camels water.  However, she also utilizes this same trait to "help God" fulfill the prophecy; the prophecy that says her younger son will be more successful than her older one.  In doing so, she employs deceitful and cunning tactics to achieve her goal.  For her, the end justifies the means.  Although she truthfully believes that she is acting out God's will for her son, she essentially usurps God's power over her son's circumstances and gives the indication that she does not fully surrender her will to His Lordship.  She essentially takes charge,  confidently takes control of present circumstances and sadly fails to patiently wait for God's direction.  
                                               
I can relate to Rebekah because I feel (or maybe, I delude myself into thinking) I have the gift of perception and most of the time, I am also quite impatient.  So, I see myself, a lot, falling into the trap of justifying to myself that I am acting in concert with God.  However, sometimes, despite myself, (or maybe through the Holy Spirit's prompting), I stop to wonder whether I am actually helping or unnecessarily hindering God's Hand on the situation.

Do you ever find yourself in a similar situation as Rebekah did wherein you are truly convinced that God is steering you towards something and you can clearly see the end result.  However, His timing seems to be too slow for your liking so you try to "help Him" by stepping in and taking charge of the whole situation?  Stop and think.  Is this way of dealing with circumstances edifying to those around you?  Is this an effective way to witness to others?

At the end of the day, I realize that I have to humble myself in the sight of the Lord, submit to His Divine will (not mine), learn to wait for Him and His perfect timing, engage in more quality prayer time with Him so that I can grow in my knowledge of Him, build my faith and my trust in Him and remember (because I seem to always forget and need constant reminders,) that He only wants what is best for me.  Simply put, I need to stay out of His Way (surrender my control issues) so that He can bless me more effectively.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this week's devotionals. Today's reading in Genesis 25 and in 27 showed me how disfunctional a family can be. There is no order that can be found in their family relationships. Their actions and hearts are not in line with God's will but driven by desires of the flesh. As a wife and a mother it shows me how important my role is in respecting my husband and teaching my sons in the right ways. Thank you for the reminder to always be on check with our motives and actions. As Romans 12:2 says God's will is always good, pleasing, and perfect - edifying and effective in leading others to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to echo Yumi and say thank you for this week's devotionals.
      What a good reminder to stop and ask if I am trying to "help God" do what I think is his will but am actually carrying out plans my own way and without faith. My struggle is that I am impatient so if God takes long, then I start trying to do things. I think praying regularly is a way to have God keep me in check.

      Delete
  2. Also wanted to say that this sin of deceiving and "stepping in" is being passed down from generation to generation as we saw with Abraham and Sarah and will see later with Laban and Jacob. I pray that whatever sin that I carry that has been passed down be put to death so that the new generation may live in light for God's glory.

    ReplyDelete